We would like to state that the Tourist Police is a special unit of Nepal Police, which is working under Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation, Tourism Industry Division. Our office is located at Bhrikuti Mandap, Kathmandu, Tourist Service Center Building, and also we have complaint counters at the Airport and Basantapur Durbar Square. We are always attentive to deal with the problems of tourist and we are very sensitive in safety and security of tourist.
Tourist Police assures a safe and pleasant stay to all the visitors in Nepal. Tourist Police is a special unit of Nepal Police, which was Established in Jan 26, 1979 under the Ministry of Tourism and Civil Aviation. The main function and responsibility of Tourist Police is to look after the welfare of tourist and to assure them a pleasant and a memorable stay in Nepal. Our function is to advise and assist tourist in safety and security during traveling, trekking, rafting and hotel stay in any part of Nepal.
With a dedicated workforce of 49 (Forty nine) Police Personnel, Tourist Police conduct various activities. The main office of the Tourist Police is situated at Bhrikutimandap in the building of Nepal Tourism Board We remain open 24 hours.
Activities of Tourist Police
- Daily patrolling within the Tourist interested area in Kathmandu valley.
- Opening Tourist Police Post in different area including Airport (TIA) and Basantapur.
- Expansion of Tourist Police Post in Pokhara and Sunauli. It will expand to different parts of Nepal in future.
- Quick action and investigation have taken seriously in any tourist complaints.
- To provide information on travel security.
- To ensure hassle free trip by keeping hawkers, beggars and street children away from tourist.
- To assist tourist whenever need arises.
Tourist Police would like to make your visit to our country as pleasant and safe as possible. You can help them further by following these Simple Tips: -
- Tourists are requested to follow up the rule of Government of Nepal.
- Inform about your problems and complaints to the nearest Police Station/Tourist Police.
- Avail the services of government registered travel/ trekking agencies only.
- Inform your whereabouts immediately upon arrival to the local Police or concerned Embassy/Consulate.
- Stay at government registered hotels/resorts/guest house/lodges only.
- Use only those porters who are authorized by your travel agency or hotel.
- Exchange foreign currency only at authorized places. Never carry your wallet in the back pocket.
- Make sure your wallet is in the inside jacket pocket or side pocket of the trousers.
- Carry certified copies of documents and leave the originals and other valuables in the safe deposit box of your hotel.
- Never leave these items unattended in your room or carry large sums of cash on your person.
- Carry traveler's cheque and limited amount of cash while on tour.
- Never leave your luggage and other valuables unattended at any time, any place.
- In case of any theft/loss/Snatched immediately contact the nearest Police Station or Tourist Police.
Duties of Tourist Police
- To provide information regarding security aspect of tourists.
- To respond promptly to problems or complaints of tourists.
- To try our best to provide a hassle free trip by keeping away tourists from hawkers, beggars and street children.
- To assist tourists wherever and whenever they need us.
- To register complaints of the Tourist and to provide police report is case of theft or loss of items.
- To create safety environment mainly in tourist areas.
- To inspect (supervise) over hotel, travel, trekking & rafting agencies in case of other proven.
- To patrol in tourism areas for safety environment.
- To control unlicensed tourist guides.
- To forward tourist related criminal cases for legal procedure to district police office, consulting with concerned embassy.
- To provide tourism related information.
Please Keep in Mind (Information for tourists)
- To inform your where about immediately upon arrival to local Police or concerned Embassies.
- To be aware of unauthorized agencies and unlicensed person
- Always make Travel and Trekking arrangement with authorized agencies only.
- To make sure to deposit your valuable items in safe deposit.
- Please allow your luggage to be carried by porters authorized by your travel agency or hotel only.
- To discourage hawkers and beggars.
- To note Taxi number which you hired or travel.
- To send your complaints in a prescribed form by Post / Fax / person (Which is distributed in our Tourist Police Counters).
- Drug-abuse, trafficking and sexual relation with children are strictly prohibited. The offenders will be punished according to the National law.
- You are here for enjoyment not for punishment.
- We do not want to see you inside the Police custody & behind the bars.
- Tourist Information Center
Tribhuvan International Airport
- Tourist Information Centre